Week of April 5, 2020
“Don’t do anything only to get ahead. Don’t do it because you are proud. Instead, be humble. Value others more than yourself. Philippians 2:3 (NIrV)
HUMILITY: putting others ﬁrst by giving up what you think you deserve
Jesus Prays in Gethsemane Matthew 26:36-56 (Luke 22:39-46, supporting)
How do you put others ﬁrst?
Use this guide to help your family learn how God can help us live with humility. First, watch the video below, then, follow up with the fun activities below!
ACTIVITY: All the Small Things (& Big Things)
WHAT YOU NEED: sticky notes, index cards, or scraps of paper; tape; pen/pencils
WHAT YOU DO: Talk together about some different ways you can put others ﬁrst. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Letting someone else choose which movie to watch
- Helping with a chore that’s not your responsibility
- Holding a door open for someone
- Taking out trash cans or getting mail for an elderly neighbor
- Doing schoolwork without complaining
- Being patient with family members
What other ideas can you think of?
Write each one on a sticky note, index card, or small scrap of paper. Once you have about seven to 10 ideas, stick them to a wall or lay them out on the ﬂoor or table. Ask your kid which idea would be the hardest for them to do, and which one would the easiest. Then sort the notes into two groups: one for the common examples that tend to come up often, and one for the bigger ideas that might take a bit more planning.
TALK ABOUT THE BIBLE STORY:
- How do you think the disciples felt when they realized they weren’t there for Jesus when He needed them most? (Guilty, sad that they hurt their friend)
- How did Jesus put His friends (and all of us) ﬁrst? (By dying on the cross to make a way for us to have a relationship with God)
- How have you put someone else ﬁrst this past week? (Use this moment to encourage your kid by talking about something good you’ve seen them do this past week. Give an example of how you’ve seen them put someone else ﬁrst, and encourage them to think of other ways they can continue to do that this week.)
- How has someone put YOU ﬁrst this week?
“Dear God, right now it feels especially hard to put others ﬁrst. We need Your help even more to think of someone else’s needs above our own. We know that You hear us when we pray, and You want to help us do hard things like putting others ﬁrst. Help us be more like Jesus and think of others before we think of ourselves. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.”