Welcome to the Summer of Serving! Here at the First United Methodist Church of Sanford, we embrace the opportunity to advance God’s kingdom by serving our neighbors, community and beyond through acts of love and service.
Looking for Ways to Serve?
Our Summer of Serving Campaign is focused on providing opportunities for everyone to serve and love their neighbors through both coordinated events and daily serving opportunities that can be done wherever you find yourself this summer. If you are looking for some simple ways you can engage in a missional life, please check out the list below for some ideas to get you started. We will be adding to this list frequently over the summer season, so please check back often or check our social media posts for updates.
- Connect with a home bound church family member by calling or writing.
- Contribute to UMCOR.
- Do a prayer walk around your neighborhood praying for your neighbors and each family as you walk by their home.
- Write a heartfelt card to a friend going through a hard time or a set back and mail it out. Your words will mean so much.
- Schedule coffee or lunch with a new friend that doesn’t look like you.
- Leave a great tip for your server.
- Forgive. Start with yourself.
- Find a flower. Thank God for it and then send a photo of it to a friend to brighten their day.
- Order and have a meal delivered to a busy family. Remember to ask about food allergies first.
Check on your actual next door neighbor.
Introduce yourself to a neighbor you don’t know yet. Start the conversation.
Listen to someone today. just listen. Give the gift of your presence and listening ears.
Write a letter to a serviceman or servicewoman or veteran to thank them for the ways they serve / served our country.
Buy a bouquet of flowers or a potted plant & drop it off to a friend.
Pick up litter and weeds around the church campus and the whole surrounding block.
Give the gift of your time in whatever way you choose today.
When eating out, pick a table and pay for their meal.
First United Methodist Children’s Home. Donate to the back to school drive for *Christmas in July*.
Write a thank you note to someone that has positively impacted your life.
Plant a seed and watch it grow. Thank God for making things grow.
Speak life. share a verse, a poem, a book with someone today to bring encouragement.
Tell us about an Act of Service or Need
Each opportunity to serve is like a seed sown in the mission field, and we as cultivators of that field want to pray over each and every seed so that it may bring abundant joy and blessings to the community and beyond. Additionally, we are always on the lookout for ways we can better serve our neighbors. If you have recently performed an act of service, or know of a need, please kindly consider filling out the form below.
Our Core Values
- We will strive to know Christ, and to make him known
- We will be prayerfully focused in everything we do
- We will value and live by the biblical principles as outlined in the in-errant word of God for transformation of the world and community
- We will remain dedicated to the daily demonstration of unconditional love and compassion for all
Our Core Focus
To act as a bridge between Christ and our community through missions dedicated to promoting:
- Physical wellness through access to healthy food, exercise and rest
- Emotional wellness through meaningful social interaction and engagement
- Mental wellness through opportunities for learning, mentorship and the arts
- Spiritual wellness through service opportunities, discipleship and sharing the word
Our Mission Partners
Local help for local families
We believe we’re called to Love Thy Neighborhood and we seek to love our neighbors well. We see approximately 20 families per month seeking financial and/or emotional assistance as they navigate the complexities of living in poverty in Central Florida. We are in need of community members interested in walking with families who are working their way out of poverty. If you’re interested or willing to help, let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org